Friday, December 7, 2012

Random Rant #4: Batman Rescues My Sanity

My gig with Cobra Venom ran late this past Sunday night and I realized that I needed my drums for my gig with Cliff 'Em All tonight at The Joint.  I decided to keep my gear in the car and bring it home rather than lug it back to the studio that night, saving a trip downtown and the gas it would take to get there.  Come Tuesday morning, I realized that I left an important piece of gear for Friday's gig at my lockout so I HAD to go back downtown to the studio to get it.  I was NOT happy that my packed schedule was getting jacked up by this nonsense.  Then through the wonders of social media, I found out that there's a Batman exhibit going on at LA Live and the price of admission is FREE!  

Now I decide to take a detour between my job and the studio on the night I go to pick up my gear.  A free thing to do always runs the risk of being lame but Batman is one of my favorite things, so how bad could it be?  The downtown LA traffic was terrible as usual, parking was tricky and for a major Hollywood exhibit, finding this thing in the LA Live complex actually took some detective work.  I got mad, thinking that all this running around was just a way to avoid going to pick up my stupid gear and then I began to wonder all if this effort was gonna be worth it.

I finally found my way to the 2nd level of the West Garage and saw this:  



And this:



And these:


There were WAY too many other good things to post here, so if you're in LA and you're interested, you have 'til December 14th to check it out.  I highly recommend it if you love Batman! There's more info here.

This experience taught me (once again) that when you're dealing with an inconvenience, find a way to make it awesome!  I'm fortunate that I live in a big city with a lot going on.  If that's not the case for you, always try to find something that you want to do on the way to something you HAVE to do.  I'm a big fan of stopping for food at a place you don't get to go to regularly if there are no lifelong passions nearby.  Also, never underestimate the joy of something FREE.  Not many things in life are, so take advantage when they happen - especially if they're this cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment