Friday, November 16, 2012

Random Rant #3: A More Perfect Union

This is my political rant, so if you're tired of politics, stop here.

For those who are still reading, I'm so glad that the election is over.  Obama this, Romney that, Democrats this, Republicans that, left-wing independent candidates this, right-wing independent candidates that, etc.  Facebook and twitter became warzones and I'm sure more than a few friendships, relationships and family functions were ruined over this election.  The media continues to feed this fire as they always have and I'm at a point now where I wonder how much any of it can be trusted (especially considering the stories that are getting the most coverage NOW).

I've had a discussions with colleagues, friends and family about all the issues and I can say with total certainty that I am close with at least one person on each side of the fence for each and every political issue. Regardless of how they view each issue, they all have one thing in common.

I love them.

That's right. It doesn't matter to me that I don't agree with their opinion on ____________ or that they voted for _____________.  They're great people with great intentions and great potential.  They just don't always see things from my perspective but more often than not, they hear me out.  They don't agree with me all the time, but they listen.

I love them for it.  I love them all.  I respect their right to agree or disagree with me, and I see the good in them regardless of how much I may love or hate their political ideals.

What's more, I see that all of these people with all these varying backgrounds, lifestyles and opinions have so much more in common with each other than against each other.  They also have INFINITELY more in common with each other than they have with any politician.  There's so much potential for good, for progress, for the bright future that everyone dreams about and that our leaders are constantly selling to us.  Almost everyone wants the exact same things.  They just have different plans for how we should get there.

We keep hearing about our "divided America" in the media.  The biggest issue of all is a lack of willingness to listen, understand, accept, compromise and move forward together.  Too many people (especially at the top), want it their way or no way and sadly, our system is one of extremes, not a give and take.  THIS is why we're so divided.  THIS is why our nation feels like we have less and less control over it.  THIS is why so many people are angry, disillusioned, and in some cases, even crazy.  We're a smart, savvy, determined generation of Americans with a lot to offer, so let's be an example to our leaders, our communities and especially our children.

Please give each other a chance.  We're fortunate to live in a country that allows us to disagree with each other AND openly criticize our leaders in public, online and everywhere we go.  For over 236 years, people have given their lives to give us this opportunity.  Let's not waste it with more bickering.  Let's move forward TOGETHER!

I'm Dan Hegarty and I approve this message.


No comments:

Post a Comment